Although an inscribed stone set into the south wall claims that there has been a church on this site from before 900AD, this church was built in 1703 and replaced the mediaeval church of "Poulworth" which was dedicated to David de Bernham, Bishop of St Andrews in 1242.
The crypt is the family vault of the Hume family, and was the famous hiding place of Patrick Hume when he was a fugitive in 1683. He hid there for four weeks and was fed with food smuggled from the house. He was allegedly implicated in the plot to assassinate Charles II. The church was renovated internally in 1928.
For further information, visit: www.discovertheborders.co.uk