Duns was granted the status of a Burgh of Barony in 1490 by King James IV in favour of George Hume of Ayton and his son, John.
The Market Cross was a symbol of the town's commercial and civil standing. The original cross was pulled down in 1816 and reconstructed in the local Park in 1897 to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria. When the town Square was refurbished in 1994, the Mercat Cross was returned to its rightful place.
For further information, visit: www.discovertheborders.co.uk