| duns scotland | | scottish borders |  
duns dings a' duns scotland

home
history
local info
tourist info
town trail
contact us


History of Duns
Early History

The first written mention of Duns is when a 'Hugo de Duns' signed as a witness to a charter before 1214. Thereafter, Duns appears throughout the history of the Borders. Sited on the slopes of Duns Law, and close to the original Duns Castle, which was built in 1320, by the Earl of Moray, nephew of Robert the Bruce, the town was frequently attacked by the English as they headed North to lay waste to the Lothians. Sir Archibald Douglas, in 1333, mustered an army to march on Berwick, which was under siege by the English, but they were defeated at the Battle of Halidon Hill. Burned to the ground thrice within 14 years, in 1544,1545 and 1558, the town of Duns survived these repeated attacks to be a mustering point for General Leslie and his covenanting armies of 1640. Cromwell put a garrison in the town after the Battle of Dunbar in 1650, to keep the locals under control, and, no doubt, these soldiers ate and drank the locals into even greater hardship, as they did elsewhere in the Borders. An uneasy peace reigned in Duns, after the '45, and it grew rapidly in size.


back: History of Duns


Duns Scotland, Scottish Borders UK