Sited to the west of Duns Law, the original castle was built about 1320 by Randolph, Earl of Moray, the nephew of King Robert the Bruce, and the remains of that 'pele tower' were incorporated into the major rebuilding and expansion which was carried out to the design of James Gillespie Graham, the noted architect, between 1812 and 1822. The Castle had come into the possession of the Hay family in 1696, when the Earl of Tweedale bought it for his son, William Hay of Drumelzier, whose wife was a descendant of Mary Seton, lady-in-waiting to Mary Queen of Scots, and one of the 'Four Marys' of the ballad. It has remained in the Hay family ever since.
Today it is the base for corporate functions and weddings, film shooting and private stays. It is NOT open to the public.