The first written mention of Duns is when a 'Hugo de Duns' signed as a witness to a charter before 1214. Thereafter, Duns appears throughout the history of the Borders.
Sited to the west of Duns Law, the original castle was built about 1320 by Randolph, Earl of Moray, the nephew of King Robert the Bruce.
Standing on the South side of the Market Square, the Mercat Cross represents the status of Duns.
Origins of place names in Duns
Duns has always been the focus for the farming folk of the area.
Buildings of historical interest
This house is the birthplace of Rev Thomas Boston in 1676.
Boston Court, off Station Road, and adjacent to the Tennis Courts and the Public Park.
Most country towns and country people put a high value on education, and Duns is no exception.
Famous people associated with Duns.
Family names associated with Duns.